Saturday, June 12, 2010

Through the Time Portal


This pic was taken on the 2nd floor of a building on the downtown square of my hometown while visiting a quilt show a few weeks ago. It was a JC Penneys back in the '60s when I was growing up and Mom would take me in there for clothes, but the 2nd floor was off limits. It is now an antique store.
These windows were there back in the 1800s and all through the early years of my life, as was the old staircase in the back, the handrail, the floor, etc. That's how I am.
The old town is just a shadow memory. The old timers who were notable in those days have passed on, along with my Mom and Dad. I doubt if anyone is still living who can tell you of the days when most activity was on the downtown square and everyone knew each other. Now its mostly out on the highway.
Scroll down below to "Salad Days" for more thoughts on my hometown.